The desire to look stylish doesn’t disappear just because there are a few more candles on the cake. When you think of senior fashion, does your mind conjure up images of blue hair and support hose?
Advertisers would have us believe that only shoppers well under retirement age get excited about new clothes. Commercials show seniors getting plastic surgery to look good, not shopping at Victoria Secret. I think they’re trying to sell the idea that looking youthful is the key to looking great.
I’m not buying what they’re selling… Are You?
Did you know your outward appearance can affect your demeanor and even your healing abilities? Check out what scientists are saying:
- The link between physical health and emotional outlook is powerful
- Negative feelings can suppress the immune system
- Positive feelings can speed up recovery from injuries
Caregivers who help their loved ones feel good with a new article of clothing, manicure, or hair style change more than just the outside appearance.Their message says their loved one is worth the extra time and attention. Now your parent feels spectacular on the inside too. Talk about a boost to their immune system and your relationship!
Sensational Senior Fashion Tips That Won’t Break The Bank
- Style Check- Don’t get caught wearing styles that are best forgotten. Best example: “That 70’s Show”. Men and women each need to stick to timeless pieces. Update your look by pairing your timeless pieces with something in this season’s color.
2. Fit is key- Poorly fitting clothes or clothes without definition are a sure sign you’re out of step with the times. Don’t let retailers keep you in the department with suspenders, elastic waist pants, or mumus. If you can’t bear to part with a piece of clothing, see if it can be tailored to fit.
3. Accessories- Your cane or walker don’t count! Belts, hats, ties, scarves, jewelry, etc. Each of these can be used to update the look of what’s already in your closet. Men have been doing this for years. It’s time ladies took a page from their book.
4. Grooming- There’s no law to keep you from changing your hairstyle. Styles and colors from ten years ago may not become you now. If your hair is thinning, comb overs are never your best look. Don’t forget to update your makeup as well.
5. Specialty Stores – These retailers feature stylish clothing for people with physical challenges. For example: shirts with Velcro instead of buttons for people with arthritis.
The Bottom Line: There’s No Excuse To Be Dowdy
Senior fashion doesn’t have to be drab. Fashion is an extension of your personality. Your personality doesn’t fade just because you get older. The choice is yours. See you on the fab side of fifty!